Dangerous foods for our four legged friends


We know that we shouldn’t feed our dogs human food; either because we don’t want to spoil them, we don’t want them to start begging when we’re eating dinner, or because we don’t want them to have a poor and fatty diet. But many of us do it anyway.

You should stay away from feeding your dog human food not only for the above reasons, but because many everyday foods we eat are harmful, sometimes deadly to man’s best friend.

Mmmm, Guacamole. Tasty and good (high in healthy fats) for us- tasty but very harmful to our pets. Avocados contain a toxin called persin that can cause damage to the liver, heart, and other organs. Not only are avocados bad for dogs, but cats, birds, and most other animals.

Beer is bad for anyone in high doses- for obvious reasons. But even in the smallest amount, beer can cause liver and brain damage in dogs since they’re much smaller than us. Leave the drinking-yourself-into-a-coma to you and your buddies and not your pets.

In particular, walnuts and macadamia nuts are especially harmful. Effects from ingesting nuts can range from vomiting, paralysis, and even death. Just within 12 hours after eating nuts symptoms can start with not being able to stand or walk, vomiting, fever, weakness, and an elevated heart rate. The result can be worse if chocolate was added to the mix. That could cause kidney failure and may even lead to death.

You’ve probably heard this one before- don’t feed your dog chocolate. Chocolate contains theobromine- which is why you shouldn’t feed your dog this. This toxin can easily kill your pet if eaten in large quantities. It can also cause your pet’s heart to beat more rapidly or irregularly, which can have a deadly effect if he’s out being active and running around. Above all, dark unsweetened baking chocolate is the worse for little Fido. So if you want to lick the spoon after baking a delicious chocolate cake, make sure you don’t give any to your four legged friend.

Another sweet that has a bitter effect on pets is candy- or anything containing Xylitol. Xylitol is a sweetener found in many diet products. If consumed, it can cause a drastic and sudden drop in heart rate and if left untreated, this can cause our pets to die.

Coffee, tea, lattes, or anything with caffeine should not be given to our pets. Remember, because our pets are so much smaller than us, what effects us a certain way will surely effect our pets the same way, times 10. Caffeine is a stimulant that effects the animal’s central nervous and cardiac systems. This can cause heart palpitations and death depending on the amount of consumed.

Grapes and raisins, even just in a single serving, can cause kidney failure to an animal. If your dog ate grapes or raisins regularly, the toxins can build over time and can eventually kill your pet.

Onions are very common for anyone to have in the kitchen. Although great as a sautéed ingredient, onions are highly toxic to our pets. It can destroy the animal’s red blood cells which can lead to anemia, breathing difficulties and weakness.

We keep medicine away from our children, we should do the exact same with our pets. Besides obvious reasons as to why we should give out pets prescription medicine, the same goes with over the counter painkillers. We think we are doing out pets a favor if they’re in pain, to give them some Tylenol or ibuprofen. Acetaminophen and ibuprofen- the active ingredient in over the counter painkillers is extremely toxic to pets. Leading to gastric ulcers, kidney failure, and even death, leave the painkillers in the medicine cabinet.

Now if you just can’t resist that puppy face with the big doe eyes, there are some good foods you can give your pet. But remember these tasty little extras for your pet should not be more than 5-10% of their diet.

Cooked lean meats- good and tasty for us- good and tasty for our pets. Although stay away from fatty meats like steak and roast, and chicken skin. Also, be sure to remove the bones from the meat.

You can’t go wrong with veggies. Corn, carrot sticks, cucumber slices, peas, and zucchini are all just fine for your dog to enjoy.

Cooked, baked potatoes are also good for man’s best friend. Be sure that it is cooked; no unripped potatoes, and no added butter or anything that you would use to flavor it.

Bread is also a good treat for your pet. Just make sure there are no nuts or raisins added to it.

Rice and pasta, my favorite dishes, are plentiful for your furry companion. In fact, veterinarians recommend plain rice and boiled chicken for an upset tummy.

If you’re ever in doubt what you can and cannot give your pet, better play it safe and not give him anything at all. Always keep your veterinarian’s or an emergency vet clinic’s number in a close and safe place in case your pet has consumed something he shouldn’t have.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *